File Transfer incompatibility between Spark and PSI

Hello all,

I run Wildfire 3.2.4-1 on CentOS 4.4 (Final) Some of my clients run Spark 2.5.0 and some prefer PSI 0.10. Text message exchange between both clients works fine. And PSI users can transfer files to Spark users. But it is impossible for Spark users to transfer file to PSI users. Sparks states File Transfer Failed a fraction of the second right after choosing the file and it doesn’'t even try. Yet, Spark to Spark and PSI to PSI file transfers work like charm.

Any ideas as to what the problem is? And what can I do other than forcing all users to choose the same jabber client?

J.

Check Spark’'s logs under Help->view logs and see if there are any exceptions related to the file transfer

Logs show the following related to the subject at issue:

27-abr-2007 9:41:00 org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error

GRAVE: Error occured during file transfer.

(400)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.FileTransferNegotiator.negotiateOutgoingTr ansfer(FileTransferNegotiator.java:407)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.OutgoingFileTransfer.negotiateStream(Outgo ingFileTransfer.java:300)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.OutgoingFileTransfer.access$100(OutgoingFi leTransfer.java:35)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.OutgoingFileTransfer$2.run(OutgoingFileTra nsfer.java:214)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

J.

I have the same problem between Spark and iChat.

Any ideas?

I am experiencing similar issues with Spark 2.5.2 and Pidgin 2.0.0. We can send files from Pidgin to Spark, but not from Spark to Pidgin. It is stuck “Negotiating file transfer with . Please wait…” I have waited several minutes but it doesn’'t appear to be doing anything. I checked my Spark logs and nothing is in there since long before I started the file transfer. Anyone have any luck working this out?

I asked about this in today’‘s group chat , and decided to do some additional testing. One of the suggestions was to make sure the same computers were used, so it couldn’'t be a config issue. The same 3 machines were used for all of this, and I personally confirmed almost all of the results. We are all on the same LAN, no server to server stuff going on or anything. Here is what we found:

Spark 2.5.2:

to Spark = works

to Psi = broken

to Pidgin = broken

to Pandion = broken

Pidgin 2.0.0:

to Pidgin = broken

to Spark = works

to Psi = works

to Pandion = broken

Psi Nightly Build 5/16/2007:

to Psi = works

to Spark = works

to Pidgin = broken

to Pandion = broken

Pandion 2.5:

to Pandion = works

to Spark = broken

to Psi = broken

to Pidgin = broken

That’‘s a pretty disappointing. Pandion was really poor, it would only work with other Pandion clients. I guess as I was told in the group chat, Pidgin does have a lot of work to do in XMPP file transfers. It can’‘t even send to other Pidgin clients (although it can send to Spark and Psi), and nothing else can send to a Pidgin client. However, Spark didn’'t fare too much better. Spark clients could only send to other spark clients, but at least Psi and Pidgin could send to Spark clients.

I think it’‘s suspicious that Psi could send to Spark, but not the other way around. I’‘m not sure you can blame all of Spark’‘s trouble on the other clients, but at the same time it seems like some of it is caused by the other clients. I’'m not sure what I learned, other than that it is clear that there is a lot of work to be done on file transfers in XMPP clients.

Let me know if I can provide more info on any of this.

For the Psi to Spark file transfer issue check out the following thread:

Psi: http://forum.psi-im.org/thread/4174

Spark: http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.network.jabber.standards-jig/10468

I will post a message in the Psi thread. It seems they have to implement the same features as Spark did or else file transfer in XMPP overall has a problem and need to be revised.

For what it is worth, things are much better with Pidgin 2.0.2. Pidgin to Pidgin, and Spark to Pidgin transfers appear to now be fixed. Pidgin to Spark still works as well. I haven’'t tested how Pidgin 2.0.2 and the other clients work though.

I also have file transfer problems with ichat and spark.

ichat to spark = works

spark to ichat = fails

When I try to send a file from spark to ichat I get this error:

SEVERE: Error occured during file transfer.

not-allowed(405)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.FileTransferNegotiator.negotiateOutgoingTr ansfer(FileTransferNegotiator.java:407)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.OutgoingFileTransfer.negotiateStream(Outgo ingFileTransfer.java:300)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.OutgoingFileTransfer.access$100(OutgoingFi leTransfer.java:35)

at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.OutgoingFileTransfer$2.run(OutgoingFileTra nsfer.java:214)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Message was edited by: iceboxqs

It seems that PSI ignores the specs and just says “hey, all those clients have problems with others, so we are not the reason for a failing transfer to us”. In the meantime, a workaround might be to tell Spark not to use a multi-list when initiating the transfer, or to retry with a single-list. This is not perfect, but it might help…

Tom

Does anyone have any fixes for this…I can like others…do spark-> spark but not spark-> pidgin or pidgin-> spark

is this a username problem as i find some odd username translation errors in my openfire logs:

I have found this type of message in my logs:

2007.11.29 01:37:22 Error returning error to sender. Original packet:

org.jivesoftware.openfire.PacketException: Cannot route packet of type IQ or Presence to bare JID:

I have replaced the actual username with USERNAME and the actual openfire hostname with OPENFIRE_HOST just for privacy…but you get my drift. I am not sure how or why this might be it…but maybe this has something to do with the problem.

Hello …
I have the same problem in transferring files from spark to spark, within the same lan. and the spark of the log said this:

13/11/2008 12:00:52 PM org.jivesoftware.spark.util.log.Log error
GRAVE: Error occurred during file transfer.
not-allowed (405)
at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.FileTransferNegotiator.negotiateOutgoingTr ansfer (FileTransferNegotiator.java: 407)
at org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.OutgoingFileTransfer.negotiateStream (OutgoingFileTransfer.java: 300)
org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.OutgoingFileTransfer.access at $ 100 (OutgoingFileTransfer.java: 35)
org.jivesoftware.smackx.filetransfer.OutgoingFileTransfer at $ 2.run (OutgoingFileTransfer.java: 214)
At java.lang.Thread.run (Unknown Source)

I am grateful for the help

Diego

Exactly the same error… Have you find any solution for this? By the wat it was working before lunch but now it gives this error