Active Directory, LDAP, Groups and Group Lists issues

After reading through all the posts, this seems like a bit of a tired subject, so I apologize for adding to the mountain of questions Basically, my goal is to create a group in Active Directory that becomes a usable group in Wildfire that I can use as the default contact list when people login. In other words, when someone logs into the server using Spark or whatever, I want their contacts/buddy list to be pre-populated with a group that consists of names in an existing active directory group that I have stored in the Security Groups of Active Directory. I’‘ve been trying various configurations of the conf file, but no matter what I do, I can never get any of the groups to populate within wildfire’‘s admin console. I do get a full listing of everyone in our active directory, the only thing I can’'t seem to make work is getting a group set up. Here is what my conf file looks like (info edited for security purposes):

<groupSearchFilter><![CDATA[
    (&(objectClass=group)(memberOf=CN=Messenger Group,OU=Security Groups,DC=city,DC=domain,DC=com)
    (member=))

]]>

Any assistance, suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Message was edited by: JJImmy

Have a look at my post in this thread and see if that does not help you out.

That does help, but I think there might be a few errors in the code you posted. I can’'t get the conf file to load without generating a ton of errors due to the way the search filters are constructed. I think an extra square bracket is needed. For example, instead of this:

<![CDATA(&(member=)(&(objectClass=group)(sAMAccountName=WFG*)))]>
Add a square bracket after “CDATA”:

I don’'t know why this makes a difference, but for me it was the difference between the conf file loading properly and throwing a million exceptions and not working at all.

***EDIT-- I just noticed that when the message posts on the board. the HTML causes the square bracket I’‘m referencing to go away. I was able to fix it by adding yet another set of square brackets, so the code I post above is correct. I’'m guessing this has happened in the past, but just in case, heads up to anyone trying to use this code ***

Anyway, I’'ve got groups at least showing up now, however now the group names are just showing up as numbers, and when I try to edit the group, I get directed to a page with an Error 500 display:

HTTP ERROR: 500

Internal Server Error

RequestURI=/group-edit.jsp

I’‘ve tried changing the service account to the domain administrator to see if it makes any difference (thought perhaps it was a permissions issue) but didn’'t have any luck. Anyone ever seen this before or have a suggestion to offer? Thanks for your help.

Good catch on the ‘’[ ]’’ issue.

Try removing the following from your wildfire.xml file. I dont have them in mine, and dont have any trouble:

And restart wildfire. Post your results.

-Erik

Oh, and you have to maks sure to have the following within your provider section:

enaslund wrote:

Good catch on the ‘’‘’ issue.

Try removing the following from your wildfire.xml file. I dont have them in mine, and dont have any trouble:

cn

description

Also, change your entry “displayName” to read:

cn

And restart wildfire. Post your results.

-Erik

YES! That was the problem. Everything works fine now. Thank you very much for your help! Here is my final LDAP piece of the config file, I hope it helps someone:

(again, info such as the DNs and PWs changed for security)

<groupSearchFilter>
    <![CDATA[[(&(member=)(&(objectClass=group)(sAMAccountName=WFG*)))]]]>

I found that if you’'re forced to use:

I need to perform the same setup, everyone gets Spark, and I want to provide them with a default list of groups - specifically any group begining with IM_. When I attempt to do this, I see all 1200 users in our enterprise, but the group listing only gives me the count of groups, and does not display them in the console. What am I missing that is keeping them from displaying? I am on Wildfire 3.1.0

Here is the LDAP code from my install

</searchFilter>       <groupSearchFilter>
      <![CDATA[[(&(member=)(&(objectClass=group)(sAMAccountName=IM_*)))]]>

]]>

org.jivesoftware.wildfire.ldap.LdapUserProvider

org.jivesoftware.wildfire.ldap.LdapAuthProvider

org.jivesoftware.wildfire.ldap.LdapGroupProvider

org.jivesoftware.wildfire.ldap.LdapVCardProvider

Try…

You also don''t need the sAMAccountName in the user filter..

That did it - Thanks!