When will Clustering plugin avaible as opensource?

Can anybody tell me When will clustering plugin released as opensource? Can it possible with Openfire 3.6.0??

At this point the clustering plugin is based on licensed code. In its current form it will most likely never be opensource, as Jive software must pay a license fee to use the code.

There has been some interest in getting the plugin re-written using one of the opensource technologies- but it seems to have pretty slow momentum.

Jive software is using coherence framework which is licenced. But jive can release source code of this plugin so that it can impemented by some other clustering framework and it also fast the devlopement process.

Hi,

it may never be released as open source as it contains as far as I know “closed source” code and I do not refer to Coherence. Coherence is just an external jar file, so there is no problem to deliver the plugin without Coherence.

LG

As LG said, the clustering plugin is just the implementation of interfaces, that exist in the open source edition, to hook up with the Coherence product. Also as Slushpupie said, some community members even implemented a clustering solution using some open source clustering framework and using the open source code of Openfire.

What I’m trying to say here is that you don’t need to have the source code of the clustering plugin to know how to hook up other clustering solution in Openfire. The open source edition contains the XMPP clustering logic and provides the interfaces to hook up a clustering solution like Coherence.

Regards,

– Gato

Can you point me to where I’d look for the interfaces to implement? I may be interested in implementing this using GigaSpaces

Hey Jason,

Check out the packages org.jivesoftware.util.cache and org.jivesoftware.openfire.cluster. In those packages you will find interfaces like:

• ClusterNodeInfo

• CacheFactoryStrategy

• ExternalizableUtilStrategy

• ClusterTask

• Cache

Those are the main interfaces to implement. They are probably not all but most of them. Let me know if you need more information. We can later put up a document with all this information.

Regards,

– Gato

If I want to get clustering plugin from Jive, which product should I get that would me the similar functionalities like Openfire?

For those who already have site licenses for Coherence and would like clustering, is there a chance of getting the glue code that implements the cache interfaces with Coherence?

I know that the code wouldn’t compile or run without actually having the coherence libraries present, but that’s not an issue for us.

And the open-source hacker side of me wouldn’t mind seeing the bindings as a useful guide to replacing coherence either.

Hi Gato

I am looking at implementing an IM solution that is to scale up to 2 million concurrent users. Will this amount of scaling of scaling be possible with Openfire? For that amount of users, I suppose need to have some form of clustering.Is it possible to provide the Clustering “How to” document you mentioned?

Regards

Jan

I’m looking forward to the “How-to” document too.

Regards,

Fan

I wondered where I can get such howto doc, thank you.

I am interested in the packages org.jivesoftware.util.cache and org.jivesoftware.openfire.cluster and need

more information how to implement these interfaces.thanks.

Regards,

– jyjnet

I try to modify this plugin to be used with new coherence version.But I found sth like these :

publisherStats[STATS_CPU_TIME] = cluster.getPublisher().getStatsCpu();

publisherStats[STATS_SENT] = cluster.getPublisher().getStatsSent();

publisherStats[STATS_RESENT] = cluster.getPublisher().getStatsResent();

receiverStats[STATS_SENT] = cluster.getReceiver().getStatsReceived();

receiverStats[STATS_RESENT] = cluster.getReceiver().getStatsRepeated();

cluster.getPublisher().resetStats();

cluster.getReceiver().resetStats();

are not support in newer coherence

Bucause I am not familiar with coherence.

Do you have some suggestion about how to migrate these code to newer coherence?

Thanks