Conference invite not getting to remote client

Help. I’m unable to get the group chat invite to display on a remote

client (ie: client logged into different xmpp server than I am).

Setup:

1. I have 2 Openfire Servers (both with: OS: Windows XP, openfire
    version: 3.3.3) with a sparc client (sparc version: 2.5.7) logged into
    each of them

2. I’ve configured the server to server connection:

3. From the admin screen: Server (tab) -> Server-to-Server (link)
    -> Allowed To Connect (box) -> Anyone (radio buton) and added the
    list of openfire servers/ports that i want connected

4. I’ve disabled the TSL on both servers:

5. From the admin screen: Server (tab) -> Security Settings (link)
    -> Server Connection Security (group) -> Custom (radio button)
    -> TLS Method -> Not Available (radio button)

6. The servers are connected and “seeing” each other:

7. From the Admin screnn: Sessions (tab) -> Server Sessions (link)
    and the remote server is listed and showing bi-directional
    communications

_Behavior: _

1. Bob logs into xmpp server1 (eg: bob@server1)

2. Alice logs into another xmpp server2 (eg: alice@server2) NOTE: BOTH servers have been configured to “see” each other

3. Bob adds Alice to his roster (alice@server2)

4. Both Bob and Alice get popups notifying that someone is adding them to their buddy list

5. Bob and Alice add the buddy to their list and both get presence information on their respective buddy

6. Both Bob and Alice are able to send/receive IM messages to/from each other directly

7. Bob creates a group chat:

8. From bob’s client: click Actions -> Start a Conference menu item:

9. Room: bobConference

10. Message: Please join me in a conference.

11. Add JID:

12. Click on “Roster” button

13. Select Alice from buddy list

14. Click OK button

15. Click Add button

16. Cilck “Invite” button

17. The Conference window comes up stating that Alice has been invited but NO invitation is displayed on Alice’s client

18. Bob right clicks on conference screen and explicitly invites Alice
    (comment is displayed that Alice was invited) but NO invitaion is
    displayed on Alice’s screen

I dont quite understand waht is going on. I can IM the remote

client directly without issues but cannot get the group chat working.

Is there something else that I need to do??

NOTE: I cant upgrade to the newer version of the openfire server because we are supporting a client that is using 3.3.3

Thank you very much for your help

Jim

_UPDATE: _

I’ve added a server plugin on both servers which notifies me of any messages sent/received by the server.

I create the group chat on one client – I see the message leaving the sending server but I do NOT get a message on the reveiving server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jim

K, i believe it was an issue with the TLS and certificates. I set the following properties:

• xmpp.server.certificate.accept-selfsigned = true

• xmpp.server.certificate.verify = false

• xmpp.server.certificate.verify.chain = false

• xmpp.server.certificate.verify.root = false

• xmpp.server.certificate.verify.validity = false

I know this wasnt ideal (should use valid certs) but just wanted to get proof of concept and get something going

Also, had to use the fully qualified domain names of the machines in the xmpp.domain field (think that is some issue on our end)

Also, from admin console Server to Server (link) -> Server (tab) I set “Allowed to Connect” to Anyone (not positive, but might be the default behaviour)

I have encountered the same problem. I have two Openfire 3.6.0 servers, one on XP Pro and the other on Windows Server 2003, and two Spark 2.5.8 clients on different XP Pro machines. I have performed all the steps you did. Moreover, after p.3, explicit invitation, I did the following:

• right clicked the conference room and selected Configure Room;

• selected the Allow Occupants To Invite Others checkbox;

• clicked Update;

• issued the explicit invitation for the second time.

No invitation was displayed. Moreover, no remote server session was established. An attempt to invite the contact into a permanent room (for which the Allow Occupants To Invite Others checkbox was selected) resulted in the same failure. Could you help me?

When I looked at C:\Program Files\Openfire\logs\warn.log of one of my Openfire servers, I noticed this (IP addresses and DNS names are changed):

2009.04.02 17:46:29 Error verifying key of remote server: conference.xmpp1.mycompany.com
java.net.UnknownHostException: conference.xmpp1.mycompany.com
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.ServerDialback.verifyKey(ServerDialback.java:5 52)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.server.ServerDialback.validateRemoteDomain(ServerDial back.java:494)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.session.LocalIncomingServerSession.validateSubsequent Domain(LocalIncomingServerSession.java:231)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.ServerSocketReader.processUnknowPacket(ServerSock etReader.java:153)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketReader.process(SocketReader.java:217)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.BlockingReadingMode.readStream(BlockingReadingMod e.java:157)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.BlockingReadingMode.run(BlockingReadingMode.java: 63)
at org.jivesoftware.openfire.net.SocketReader.run(SocketReader.java:120)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Then I opened C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on the machine where this Openfire server is. It contained the following line:

130.131.132.133 xmpp1.mycompany.com

xmpp1.mycompany.com is the fully qualified domain name of the other Openfire server. I inserted the following to the hosts file:

130.131.132.133 conference.xmpp1.mycompany.com

I performed these operations on the machine where the xmpp1.mycompany.com Openfire server is, too. Then I quit (not just stopped) all the Openfire and Spark instances and restarted them. After this, invitations to both permanent and temporary rooms went through OK in both directions, users successfully accepted them and entered rooms.