Contact List (Roster) Sharing bug?

Hi,

I’'ve long been puzzled by this text on the Edit Group admin console page

“You can use the form below to automatically add this group to users’’ contact lists. By default, this group will only appear in the contact lists of the group’'s members… However, you can share this group with all users or members of other groups.”

Okay, so the default setting is to have “Disable contact list group sharing” checked, but that actually disabled having the shared group just among the group members. Meaning, the group members don’'t see each other until “Enable contact list group sharing” is checked.

Is this a known bug or am I missing something? I’'m using Openfire 3.3.2

My procedure to test this is:

1. Create new group with “disable contact list group sharing” checked.

2. Group members don’'t see a shared group in their roster.

3. check “Enable contact list group sharing” and the shared rosters appear in the group members.

daryl

Hi,

Thanks to gato for looking at this I would suggest the following text on the admin console page:

“You can use the form below to automatically add this group to users’’ contact lists. By default, this group will only appear in the contact lists of the group’'s members… However, you can share this group with all users or members of other groups.”

be replaced with:

“You can use the form below to automatically add this group to users’’ contact lists. By default, this group will not be visible to group members. By ‘‘enabling contact list group sharing’’, these contacts will be shared among group members, with other groups, or with all users on this server.”

Hi,

I see the text is still as-is in the 3.4.0-beta1, I still think this is a bug

daryl

Hi,

Okay, so I read this text again on Openfire 3.4.0-beta1

“You can use the form below to automatically add this group to users’ contact lists. By default, this group will only appear in the contact lists of the group’s members..”

The “By default” needs to be preferenced by “If sharing is enabled”, since the true default is for no contact list sharing to occur.

Sorry, the reason that I am complaining is that when I train other openfire admins for my server, this text trips them up as well. They think they don’t need to touch the buttons, since the default is to have the group’s roster shared.

Maybe the “By default” stuff could appear in the box that appears when once clicks on enable. sorry for making so much noise about this.

daryl